What is Navagraha
Nava means ‘nine’ and graha means planetary ‘energy’, ‘force’ or ‘controller’ so it is a prayer performed to energize an individual or family according to the nine planetary forces.
According to modern astronomy, only five of these nine influences are actually planets. Kuja (Mars), Budha (Mercury), Guru (Jupiter), Shukra (Venus) and Shani (Saturn). Surya (the Sun) is a Star, Chandra (the Moon) is a natural satellite, Rahu (north node of the moon) and Ketu (south node of the moon) are not celestial bodies, but polar energies.
In Indian Vedic Astrology, it is said that the nine planets influence the course of life and different viewpoints, for example, marriage, health, career, finance and many others. Planetary position in the horoscope shapes the yogas or the doshas (negative impacts) and due to these “Navagraha doshas” one faces impediments and obstacles throughout everyday life.
According to astrology, positions and movements of celestial bodies (stars, planets, sun, and moon) at the time of birth profoundly influence a person’s life. In the early days of Hinduism, the tradition speaks of the enlightened seers, rishis, who looked out across physical reality and saw that life was influenced by different forces. Out of these forces that influenced life, nine were the most influential, and so they were called the navgrah, the nine influences.
Although the planets have their belongings, these malefic doshas or malefic impacts can be eliminated by praying to the nine planets. By completing this puja through well-versed pandits in the correct way, one is blessed with relief and success from obstacles, ill-health and disharmony.
The Navagraha Pooja has been a very effective and time-tested Vedic ritual which can enable a person to attain good health, education and knowledge, huge wealth, domestic peace and prosperity, and well-rounded success. This navagraha Pooja or worship is actually a collective worship of all nine planets of the Vedic or Hindu astrology. These nine bodies (Sun, Moon, Mars, Mercury, Jupiter, Venus, Saturn, Rahu, and Ketu) are believed to control our deeds (Karmas), desires, and the results or outcomes of the same.
It is said that, the locations of these nine planets in the natal chart of a person, tell the whole story about the occurrence of certain happenings (failures, events, sorrows, achievements, etc.) in the present life of the person.
Benefits of Navagraha Puja and Homam
Each celestial body provides different benefits to the person performing puja:
- Surya (Sun) – promotes strength and courage, success, health and prosperity, relief from chronic diseases
- Chandra (Moon) – beneficial for mental peace, wealth, fame and success
- Mangal (Mars) – improved health, wealth, power and prosperity. Reduces chances of accidents and theft
- Budha (Mercury) – provides greater wisdom, commercial success and growth, relief from any nervous problems
- Guru (Jupiter) – nullifies bad emotions, provides strength and valor. Improves health, wealth, education, progeny etc
- Shukra (Venus) – improves relationships, longevity of life, wealth, life advancements, progeny and happiness
- Shani (Saturn) – improves mental peace, health, happiness and prosperity
- Rahu (Head) – provides longevity, enhanced power and improved social standing
- Ketu (Tail) – improves health, wealth, reduces chances of accidental death due to poison
When to perform Navagraha Puja
Navagraha Pooja also known as Navagraha Homam is done on a special day (muhurat) which is derived in accordance with the horoscope of the person wishing to perform the pooja. Performing the pooja on the right muhurat will result in maximum benefits.
Navagraha Shanti Mantras:
Surya (Sun) – Om Ghrini Suryaye Namah
Chandra (Moon) – Om Aim Kleem Somaye Namah
Mangal (Mars) – Om Hoom Shreem Mangalaya Namah
Budha (Mercury) – Om Braam Breem Braum Sah Budhaye Namah
Guru (Jupiter) – Om Gram Greem Graum Sah Guruve Namah
Shukra (Venus) – Om Draam Dreem Droum Sah Shukraye Namah
Shani (Saturn) – Om Sham Shanaischaryaye Namah
Rahu (Head) – Om Raam Rahve Namah
Ketu (Tail) – Om Hreem Ketave Namah